Moving to New Brunswick from Abroad

Moving to New Brunswick from Abroad

A trade qualifier is someone who has trades experience (in Canada or abroad) or certification from another country.  Trade qualifiers may challenge the certification exam in their trade to become a certified tradesperson in Canada.  Instructions about how to do this in New Brunswick follow:

Documentation Requirements for Trade Qualifiers

  • A Grade 12 or equivalent is not required for the Trade Qualifier application.


  • There are industry-approved minimum time requirements for each trade. The required number of hours is indicated on the Board Order for your trade.

Work Experience

  • Review the Apprenticeship Training Standard for your trade. Compare your skills to those identified for the trade. These are the skills you will be tested on during the certification exam.
  • Required practical skills are indicated on the applicable Board Order.

Employer Letter

  • Your employer(s) must complete an Employer Confirmation form.

Translation of Documents

  • Documents are accepted in French or English.       If documents must be translated, a professional translator approved by the department must be used.

Submit Application

  • Meet with an Apprenticeship & Occupational Certification counsellor at a regional office to pick up the application package.
  • Once your application is completed, ensure it is signed and accompanied by all necessary documentation. A $100 application assessment fee is payable.
  • Submit the completed application in person or by mail to a regional apprenticeship office

Write and Pass Examination

  • If your application is approved, you will have the opportunity to write a multiple choice exam. You must make an appointment to write the exam with the regional apprenticeship office and pay a $250 examination fee.
  • A pass mark of 70% or higher is required to obtain a Certificate of Qualification

Certificate of Qualification

  • Once you earn your Certificate of Qualification, you can legally work in a compulsory trade. Certification is not required for voluntary trades.

Helpful Links


Information about health care

Opening a bank account

Directory of Service New Brunswick locations

If you need your qualifications assessed

Red Seal Information for Foreign Workers

Pan-Canadian reference tools for academic qualification assessment

Federal Skilled Trades Program

If you have a vehicle

Obtaining a driver’s license

Registering a vehicle

Private insurance

Vehicle inspections

If you are an immigrant to Canada

Applying for a Social Insurance Number

Directory of Immigrant-serving Agencies

English as a Second Language

Express entry for trades workers

General Information for Newcomers

Information about Income Taxes

The New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program

Newcomer reference guide

The Canadian Experience Class

If you need somewhere to live

Finding accommodation

If you have children

Directory of school authorities & schools

Directory of childcare providers