Moving to Northwest Territories from Abroad

Moving to Northwest Territories from Abroad

A trade qualifier is someone who has trades experience (in Canada or abroad) or certification from another country.  Trade qualifiers may challenge the certification exam in their trade to become a certified tradesperson in Canada.  Instructions about how to do this in Northwest Territories follow:

Information for Trade qualifiers

If you are a skilled tradesperson who has worked in a trade for a number of years, but has not participated in or completed a Canadian apprenticeship program, or you have recently come to Canada, you can apply for a Certificate of Qualification as a Trades Qualifier.  Eligible applicants under the Trade Qualification Route must:

  • be currently employed in the Northwest Territories
  • have work experience equal to the applicable apprenticeship time plus 1,800 hours within the last 10 years
  • have a minimum of 1,800 hours of work experience obtained in Canada to ensure familiarity and compliance with trade-specific building and safety codes

To apply to be a Trades Qualifier, you must complete a Trades Qualification Application and submit the completed application to the local Career Development Officer at a regional ECE Service Centre.  When your application has been assessed and it has been determined that you are eligible, you can challenge the Trade Qualification Examination.  When you pass the examination, you will be issued a Certificate of Qualification and are considered a journeyperson.

Helpful Links


Information about Health care coverage

Health care information

Opening a bank account

If you need your qualifications assessed

Red Seal Information for Foreign Workers

Pan-Canadian reference tools for academic qualification assessment

Federal Skilled Trades Program

If you have a vehicle

Obtaining a driver’s license

Documents needed for NWT driver’s license

Registering a vehicle

Private auto insurance

Directory of motor vehicle offices

If you are an immigrant to Canada

Applying for a Social Insurance Number

Directory of Immigrant-serving Agencies

English as a second language

Express entry for trades workers

General Information for Newcomers

Information about Income Taxes

The Canadian Experience Class

Northwest Territories Provincial Nominee Program

If you need somewhere to live

Finding accommodation

If you have children

Directory of schools and school councils

Information and Directory of childcare providers