This list of online resources has been complied of resources and supports submitted by CAF-FCA Members and apprenticeship stakeholders from across Canada. The Canadian Apprenticeship Forum does not endorse any one product, brand, organization or initiative, and is intended to offer options for apprenticeship stakeholders to explore and decide what best suits their needs.
Apprenticeship Learning online
- The Electric Academy
- OER for Trades: Basic Motor Controls
- Math For Trades
- Construction Industry Training Network
- Getting Ready to for your Red Seal Exam
- Exam Apps, The Skilled Trades Resource
- ITABC Tips for Exam Success
Mental Health supports
- BC Centre for Women in Trades and Technology
CIRP/BCCWITT welcome women (including trans women), trans men, and non-binary people in all phases of their trades or trades-related careers, to join us for a session talking about mental health.
Weekly Mental Health check ins on Wednesdays, follow on twitter for updates @BCCWITT
- Mental Health Commission of Canada – Resource Hub: Mental health and wellness during the COVID19 Pandemic
- Crisis Services Canada – COVID19 Resources
- Government of Canada – Mental Health Supports
Learning Management Systems
- Blackboard – Are offering select offerings of their services for free, and a free 30-minute webinar for educators to help prepare the transition of instruction to an online setting.
- D2L – Compatibility with different platforms (Google drive, YouTube, etc). Can be used on multiple devices (laptop, tablet, phone), and have the ability to be personalized to each user’s needs.
- Edmodo – Offering free services that includes, recorded screen casts, live video conferencing, virtual field trips, and the ability to create assignments with set due dates.
- Forma LMS – Forma LMS is an open source LMS that offers eLearning management, course management, videoconferencing, course authoring, certification, etc.
- Google Classroom – A cloud-based system that includes all the Google Apps for free that can be tailored for your training. Currently hosting a promotional price for $24 a year for the institution, and free for students.
- iSpring Learn – iSpring’s intuitive user experience makes the LMS super easy for both learners and training administrators.
- Moodle – Moodle is a free and open source platform that lets users create customized courses. It offers tools to manage virtual classrooms, generate certificates, and measure the success of training programs via analytics. Free version can have up to 50 users with access to a range of activities and educational tools, ability to add assessments, and communication with your students via video conferencing, and the ability to be used on mobile.
- Schoology – a freemium web-based LMS that hosts eLearning content such as courses, training, and programs.
- TalentLMS – A super-easy, cloud LMS software to train your employees, partners and customers
Systems with strong offline functionality
- Ustad Mobile – Offer services that can be delivered on multiple platforms (laptop, tablet, phone) and offline. It is built and run on open source software.
Collaboration platforms that support live-video communication
- Google Hangouts – $15.60 per month which includes many features such as, Hangouts Chat, Hangouts Meet, Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Sites, Drive, and Calendar.
- Microsoft Teams – Offers video meetings, chat features, access to Microsoft products, create assignments and grade books, and accessibility to third party apps. Pricing details were not readily available on the website.
- Skype – Ability to host video and audio conferencing with chat.
- Zoom – Offers live conferencing with up to 100 participants, with a 40-minute time limit. The free version has a wide range of features, and the pay versions range from $20 – $27 per month with the capability for larger meetings and other features.
Tools to create digital learning content
- Thinglink – Is an add-on to other platforms such as Moodle, that provides virtual tours and instructional videos of real-life locations that the teacher chooses, such as a shop.
- Kaltura – Video cloud that can be utilized to share recorded lectures, create a video repository, and receive video assignments from students.
- iSpring Suite – Create interactive courses and assessments in record time. No training required!
- Articulate 360 – Includes both Storyline 360 and Rise 360, plus a slew of other authoring apps. With Storyline 360 you can develop custom, interactive courses that work on every device—without any manual tweaking. Choose Rise 360 when you want to build fully responsive courses in minutes.
Websites & Articles
- Resources for Virtual Training Design and Facilitation
- 7 Tips To Help Make Remote Learning More Effective
- Classes Are Online. What Comes Next?
- Helping you work, teach and learn from anywhere
- Online Teaching & Learning: Assessment Methods
Blue Seal Certificates of Business Competencies
Camosun College: http://camosun.ca/learn/school/business/blue-seal.html